Friday, December 21, 2012

of Shepherds and Lambs

I got an interesting text from my (very) pregnant daughter this morning wishing I was there to give her a massage with my oils. That morphed into a question if I wanted to accompany her during labor and delivery. I told her I'd do whatever she needed. I was planning to stay with her other children during that crucial time but maybe Grandpa could do that...after that conversation I was searching through the Ensign looking for an appropriate message to bring my sisters this month and I found a story about a nativity play:
“The shepherds have waited their entire lives for their Savior’s arrival, and now they anticipate the unspeakable honor of greeting Him at His birth. But amid the scurry to embark on this journey of a lifetime, one shepherd remains still. His grandson calls out to him, “Grandfather, aren’t you coming?” His answer teaches a great lesson: “I’ll stay with the sheep.”



This was exactly what I was feeling about Rachel's question. Sometimes our role is to be the star. Other times it is to stay in the background and be a quiet support.  I felt honored to be asked to be by her side this time and be able to greet this new little spirit at its birth but also told her I would be wherever she needed me most. Wherever we serve, it does not go unnoticed. Heavenly Father sees and knows of the righteous desires of our hearts and will bless us for our willingness to serve where called, to help where we are needed. It reminds me of this poem I love by Emily Dickinson:

They might not need me; but they might.
I'll let my head be just in sight;
a smile as small as mine might be
precisely their necessity.


No comments: