Saturday, February 12, 2011

Two roads diverged

You can't read the sign very well at the fork in the road, but one side (left) is black (as in "Black Diamond") and the right side is blue (intermediate). Nary a beginner green circle to be seen. We THOUGHT we were skiing on a green run, happily oblivious to our impending doom. Obviously we Chose the Right (aka intermediate) and made the best of it. We made it to the bottom in one piece and tried a couple more times to find where we went wrong, only to have to renegotiate this more difficult path once again. Finally, the last run of the day, we found the elusive Holiday Trail. And it was only then, on the beginner run, that I had my first fall of the day, going too fast to negotiate a turn and stopping myself in powder before I could hit some trees. This was White Pass, 2 and 1/2 hours from home, and we had a great day enjoying the sun, scenery and short lift lines (felt like we were playing hooky from school on a Friday!) I can't say as we made a lot of progress technically speaking, as we were still mostly snow-plowing our way down runs, but our experience and confidence grew (all that time on Intermediates!) On the way home, Rich summed it up nicely when he said, "If I never ski again, it won't be the end of the world, but at least I know I can do it."

No comments: