Sunday, February 8, 2009

Word Power

Reading the D&C, I've been pondering that words (God's, anyway but I think ours too sometimes) can be "quick and powerful, sharper than a two-edged sword."  Words can hurt, incite, heal, nurture, and enlighten. Some powerful words:

"God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to Joseph Smith in this grove." (Sign outside of Sacred Grove, Palmyra NY)

Hearing the story of Joseph's experience changed my life 38 years ago.  Rich and I plan to go on a mission after we retire--I look forward to bringing the words of the restoration to others, but for now, I try to be sure my words don't injure, but uplift. 

Like Sami's recent post, I think it's important to be proactive in building relationships. Let a teacher know you enjoyed her lesson; thank your family member for doing the dishes (even if it is "his turn"); say "I'm sorry" even if it isn't all your fault. And say, "I love you" sincerely and often.  Life is short --live with no regrets. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I know it makes a world of difference in my life when a girl in my relief society slips me a love note saying she appreciates me. I try to make it a point to go up to speakers and leaders in church and thank them for their words if it touched me a certain way. It's not a hard thing and it makes a BIG difference!

love you mom