Thursday, February 26, 2009

Let them eat cake


So, we got rid of all the vending machines at the library about 2 weeks ago. Dealing with refunds for vending glitches were high on the list of staff pet peeves, which tipped the scales in their demise. This morning I came in to find this report from the Person-In-Charge last night:


Imagine my surprise when a teen approached me Wednesday evening to inform me that "The drink machine ate my $1.50".

In response, I blinked a few times, stared blankly at him, and asked, "Which machine ate your money?"

Now here's the best part: he led me to the entrance, glanced around confused, and promptly turned beet red.

I managed to get him to explain that a friend put him up to it, telling him that he'd get a free $1.50. As dishonest and mischievious as this was, I think his absolute embarassment in front of all the people coming in and out was punishment enough.
It's a telestial world out there. Is it any wonder that kids without the gospel in their lives have their hands out to get something for nothing, when there are so many examples of dishonesty and greed all around us? But then I have hope for the world when I hear stories of how my daughters are raising their children in truth and righteousness (from SimplySiemers blog):
"I called to Paige. She came in and looked like she had been eating something. Asking her what was in her mouth, she said, "Nuthin." "What are you eating?" "Nothing." "Open your mouth." "No." Then she started to walk away. "Where are you going? What are you doing?" "I lick my fingers." "You are not in trouble, I just want to know what you are eating. It is okay. You just need to be honest and tell me the truth." I followed her into my room and saw the dishes on the floor by Jason's side of the bed, including a paper plate containing a giant uneaten piece of birthday cake I had brought him from work last night. Knowing instantly what she had been eating, and seeing the finger line through the frosting, I asked her if she had eaten some cake. "I want eat the cake." I told her she was not in trouble, that she could have one bite (it was too tempting to leave it out like that and too mean to tease her with it there) but then she had to eat breakfast. I then reiterated the need for her to tell the truth. We then practiced back and forth that when I say, "What are you eating," she says, "Cake."

No comments: