Monday, May 17, 2010

2.47.47.8

My first (and NOT last!) 1/2 marathon in Ogden, UT this past weekend. I had been very anxious about the whole thing, such that I didn't sleep much the night before. When I did finally fall asleep sometime after midnight, I dreamed I was in the hotel room trying to fall asleep before the race and had insomnia, so it seemed like I was actually awake all night! Got up at 4:00 a.m. to get to the shuttle bus that took us to the starting line. My seat mate was a young woman from Park City, Utah, who told me her favorite 1/2 marathon (that's all she does) is in Park City, so I am already planning for that one in 2011.

One of my apprehensions was that I would experience altitude sickness, coming from sea-level to 5,000 ft at the start of the race, but I had no symptoms and was able to breathe fine the whole way.
At exacty the half-way point, these lyrics were playing on my iphone: "...girl you're in the middle of the ride, everything, everything will be just fine..." (The Middle by Jimmy Eat World), so I took that as an amusing synchronicity that I'd finish the race "just fine."

No comments: